Tuckahoe Locksmith Service in Tuckahoe, VA - Panic Bars, Importance in Commercial Property
Most of you have already used a panic bar and didn’t even notice. In fact, few people know what panic bars are and how they are used. In this post, we will explain more about them and you will come to value their use and importance. In fact, they are some of the most important security systems in a commercial property.
If you own a commercial space and need reliable panic bars that are also affordable, visit Tuckahoe Locksmith Service in Tuckahoe, Virginia. We have a large stock with dozens of models. If you are not in our area, we are sure that you can find a reliable locksmith in your area as well. Most professional locksmiths have panic bars in stock because they are so important for any business. If you don’t know how to find a reputable locksmith, search for one on the Internet. Make sure the company has good reviews or that it comes highly recommended from someone you trust.
Let’s get down to business. What are panic bars?
A panic bar is a very simple lock and its name is relatively self-explanatory. A panic bar is used to unlock a door quickly when there is any kind of emergency. These locks allow people to escape the building fast without the need to unlock any doors.
It is easy to confuse panic bars with exit bars. While the two systems may look similar, they work differently. A panic bar has a spring that unlocks the door, while an exit bar has a push mechanism that opens the door. These two types of bars are very different, so you need to be able to make a difference between them.
Panic bars are usually used on exterior doors on commercial properties. They are placed on the inside of the door and are invaluable if something dangerous happens inside the building. All one has to do is push the bar to unlock and open the door. Everyone can get out quickly without even requiring assistance from the building’s staff.
In some states, installing panic bars on commercial properties is forbidden unless the business property can hold a minimum number of people. However, if you own a smaller business, don’t forget about these safety systems that may save lives in the future. They are very useful in situations when confusion and chaos is preventing emergency personnel from manually unlocking exit doors.
The Importance of Panic Bars
If you are thinking about the expense when you decide if you will install panic bars or not, know that these security systems are not that expensive. Also, think about their value when it comes to life or death situations. These panic bars can save lives if something happens in your building. If you want people to be able to vacate the property as fast as possible, you need to seriously consider installing panic bars.
Here are several reasons why business owners should install these security systems on the doors to their properties:
- They make exiting the building quick You never know if there will be any power during an emergency so that the electronic locks can open the doors. Also, you don’t know if your staff can get to doors using traditional locks and unlock them on time. If you use panic bars, people just have to press them and the spring inside the lock automatically opens the door from the inside. And remember, no matter how hard you prepare for an emergency, there is always the unpredictable human factor. People will panic and may not be able to unlock certain doors that use complex locking mechanisms.
- They prevent injuries during emergency exits Because the door can be opened so quickly, people will be able to exit the space quickly and somewhat organized. Nobody will be trampled or squeezed to death by the panicking crowd trying to get out. People will not pile at the door trying to force it to open. This is how a panic bar prevents injuries.
- They are very effective and reliable If your locksmith installs the panic bars correctly, these security systems will work flawlessly for years. You don’t need to spend money to maintain them. They will just sit there for use in case of emergencies. However, you should work with a professional locksmith if you want to install panic bars that will last for years with almost no maintenance costs.
- They are able to lower the cost of insurance As you know, insurance rates are going up and business owners pay a small fortune every year to keep their business insured. Some companies are willing to lower the insurance rate if your business is equipped with panic bars. It makes sense, because these systems significantly reduce the risk of injury or death. This means your business is safer in the eyes of an insurer.
- They are affordable Panic bars are not as expensive as some business owners think. Although there are options that cost quite a bit to purchase and install, most of the others are rather cheap. Furthermore, these systems last for years without requiring regular maintenance. You don’t have to worry about maintenance costs and about replacing them every year or so.
- There are a lot of varieties to choose from You can get all sorts of sizes, types, and colors when it comes to panic bars. Don’t worry; you will surely find one that looks great on your door. It doesn’t matter what type of door you have; a panic bar will fit it for sure. You can choose from three types: a traditional touchbar, a contemporary touchbar, and an economical touchbar. Each one has its strengths and weaknesses.
Should You Install Panic Bars On All the Doors In Your Commercial Property?
The answer is DEFINITELY! No matter how secure your commercial space is and how well trained your employees are, panic bars can save lives. They make exiting in case of emergency a lot easier and faster. They prevent injuries as well. If you want to install panic bars and need a reputable locksmith who has years of experience in this field, call Tuckahoe Locksmith Service.